Retail & Distribution
18 Dec 2016
Unified Commerce & digital transformation.
According to the Gartner Market Guide 2016 for Digital-Business-Ready POS Applications for Tier 2 Multichannel Retailers, In the next two to five years, retail CIOs must implement a digital-business ready point of sale in the context of a digital business strategy that focuses on enhancing customers’ lifestyles.
We feel this is a great report from analysts Miriam Burt and Joanne Joliet who deliver an in-depth look at the tier 2 POS retail market with focus on market structure, the business and technology challenges facing retailers in the new digital age and underline the importance of channel convergence as well as detailing representative vendors. Our synopsis and highlights appear below.
In this guide, “key findings are:
- Application architecture development has significantly shifted point of sale (POS) from mainly ecommerce and m-commerce capabilities to deployment on “unified” commerce platforms, including in-store capability.
- Synthesis between the order management system (OMS) and POS is fundamental to delivering on the customer promise to be able to “buy anywhere, fulfill anywhere and return anywhere.”
- Mobile POS-only solutions are trending toward moving to full-service POS capabilities.
- A digital-business-ready POS must be prepared and optimized for the convergence of cloud, mobile, social and emerging Internet of Things (IoT) capabilities to service customers’ lifestyles.
- Retailers find propensity to collaborate and trustworthiness especially important vendor attributes when it comes to selection of a digital business ecosystem partner.”
Cegid, representative vendor named in the report, to support full digital business ready POS capability.
In our opinion, the report clearly highlights the necessity for vendors in this market to demonstrate solid in-store, full POS capability in decent-sized multichannel implementations, as well as to support digital business requirements of cloud mobile, social, big data and the IoT.
Cegid, as an international player and a global provider of cloud services and software for retailers, was objectively evaluated in the report in areas we believe are highly important for POS digital business transformation, including:
- POS Implementations in and Across the Channels
- Execution of Cross-Channel Customer Processes at POS
- Synthesis Between POS and OMS
- Converging Capabilities
- Data and Analytic Capabilities
- Hardware and Software Bundle Options
- Vendor Support Locations
- Vendor Implementations in Geographies and Segments
“Cegid’s placement in the Gartner’s POS Market Guide validates our ability to provide retailers with solutions that connect all customer touchpoints, so they can deliver a personalized experience and gain a holistic view of their shoppers, products and retail chains,” states Nathalie Echinard, Director of Retail Markets, Cegid Group.
Full findings from the report and complete representative vendor analysis can be downloaded from our web site here: